Friday, August 7, 2015

Jay Ha #4 disinfection efficiency test

Final part of my research was to understand inactivation trends of E. Coli based on different disinfection methods and to assess the method with highest disinfection efficiency.

Three sets of disinfection experiments were being conducted; 1) UVC only, 2) Hydrogen peroxide only, 3) and UVC enhanced by filtered hydrogen peroxide.

Each set of experiment required all the lab skills I learned throughout the summer such as agar plating and using photoreactor.







The data turned out to be rather straightforward as both UVC only and H2O2 enhanced UVC killed over 99.99% of E. Coli within 1 minute of the experiment, and it turned out that inactivation by hydrogen peroxide only is rather negligible.

So, the 6 sets of 4watt UVC lamps that I used was way too strong to compare the effect of OH radical enhancement.

Although supposedly, I should have reduced the watt of the UVC lamp by half or so and conducted another set of experiment, unfortunately, time ran out, and I could not really do that part.

Anyways, still, I showed that the UVC lamps are super strong and effective in killing the E. Coli bacteria and I hope that the Korean Condo company would be satisfied regardless that their lamp will successfully disinfect the surface of their condos.

I had decent amount of fun doing lab at yale this summer and i hope rest of you guys would finish up your lab stuffs stronk.

No comments:

Post a Comment