Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Azza Entry #1 Befriending Bacteria

My first week at the UCSF lab was great and went extremely well! Upon my arrival, on Monday, my mentor explained the 2 projects that I would be working on over the course of the next few weeks. One project is based on an inherited heart disease called ARVC and the other is based on the study of the Calsequestrin protein. I have been working on both of these projects simultaneously over the course of my first week here at the lab.

As part of the ARVC project, I’m still in the process of creating a nuclease called Cel I which has the ability of basically cutting up DNA at a specific target and ultimately detecting heterozygosity. I had to extract CEL-I from celery juice and purify it using a protein purification protocol my mentor gave me to follow. CEL-I, as I mentioned, is a nuclease the lab is using to detect heterozygosity. Since ARVC is autosomal dominant, CEL-I helps prove that an organism has successfully taken in the disease by running their DNA onto a gel and seeing cut up pieces of DNA at a specific location.

The second project I have been working on is the Calsequestrin project. I think of the CASQ2 project as climbing a ladder. Because it deals with understanding the structure and function of a mutant protein, we first begin with trying to understand the chemistry and physics of the mutant protein, and this can be done in the test tube. Then we ask biology questions about the protein, but in vitro. In vitro is learning about the protein in a cell line that is not part of an animal. Afterwards we can look at what the protein does in cell culture using mouse skeletal muscle cells that have been modified to grow individually. Lastly we make an animal model and look for a phenotype that shows evidence of the disease in vivo. I learned that this is how any scientist would proceed for any project involving a mutant protein. You start with the basic characterization up to the in vivo experiments.  So far in this project, I have successfully ligated our target DNA into a strain of bacteria and allowed a culture of bacteria to grow overnight.  The next day I transformed the plasmid into competent cells called XL-1 cells and miniprepped 5 different bacteria colonies and sent them for sequencing.


Displaying IMG_3308.JPG
My lab bench

It’s only been a week here at the lab, and I’ve already learned so much! I’m looking forward to the next couple weeks!



Azza J

No comments:

Post a Comment