Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Kelsie Sirak, Entry #2, Microscopes and Harvesting

I’m just closing out my second week here at the Jordan-Sciutto lab and it’s been very enjoyable.  I came in on Tuesday later than usual because I was working with Eddie, since Julie was still away and Kyle was shadowing in another lab.  It was a relatively slow day but I got to learn about Eddie’s project which is more on the pharmacological side of the lab.  He’s working on a pathway with PERK that may lead to neurodegeneration because of unfolded or misfolded proteins.  I did however get to watch him plate neurons as well as treat a set of his older plates with Ritonavir and Darunavir to then observe the effects of the drugs the next day. 

When I got in the next day, I went straight to work with Kyle.  We started the next western and during the down time for that, I was watching and working with Eddie.  He was harvesting the cells we incubated the day before.  I watched him do a few and he offered for me to scrape the cells and then pipette them.  That was pretty cool in knowing that they were the cells that were going to be used in a gel and then a western.  Once all of the cells were harvested, we centrifuged them to pellet the unnecessary cell debris.  While that was going we went over to watch a microscope demonstration.  Dr. Jordan-Sciutto was determining if she wanted to purchase this new microscope, and we were all allowed to watch the demo.  It was awesome.  Everything was automatic, choosing the dyes that were shown and then overlaying them to view it all together.  Then it did something called Z stacking with a potato sample, since it’s too thick to focus all at once, the machine takes pictures of each of the levels and then stacks it so all of the layers are in focus in one image.  We popped in and out of the demo to work on our experiment but for a couple minutes they were analyzing a cross-section of a brain.  I went back to working with Kyle and  during the second set of washes for the western we went down to the dark room real quick to make sure the machine was on and ready for when we needed it.  After finishing up the washes and gathering everything we needed to develop the film, we headed down to the darkroom.  This time I did all of it.  I transferred the protein signals onto the film and then placed it in the machine and we got some really good results.  Once we finished that, we got to use the microscope to view previous samples Kyle and Julie had been working with.  We were working and listening to some country music so that was very enjoyable.  To finish out the day we analyzed these new pictures we took with the microscope and were playing around with Excel to help with the standard error and then graphing the data. 

Thursday Julie was back from her trip.  For the first part of the day Julie and Kyle were making a PowerPoint presentation for the lab meeting that was taking place later that day.  I sat in on that and it was interesting to listen to them talk about the article.  Then I went back to counting.  This time I was using a different image to count to neurites, which was more difficult than before because with this one you have to adjust the settings to be able to even see the dendrites.  But we ate lunch and talked which was very nice.  At 2, the three of us headed over to the library so they could practice their presentation.  The library was amazing.  It was huge and had so many nice resources to use and it’s somewhere I could spend my whole day.  Since we had some time to kill before the lab meeting, Julie took us to the Fine Arts Library to look around.  That was incredible.  The building itself was quite interesting and then inside it was very elaborate.  Finally it was closing in on 3, so we started to walk over to the building where the meeting was taking place and we stopped at a Wawa on the way to grab some gum.  When we got to the meeting room there were some people from another lab there and they were all very friendly and welcomed me to the journal meeting.  It ended up that there were a lot of new people in attendance.  I was able to listen to Brigid, a grad student working in my lab as well as another lab on campus, about her most recent project which she’s hoping to get published soon.  She talked about oligodendrocytes and oxidative stress and its effects on the cells.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to stay to listen to Julie and Kyle’s presentation, but I’m sure they did great!


Friday was slower.  We continued with another western to test for synaptophysin.  During the downtime, Julie showed both Kyle and I how to analyze the film we developed.  Then the majority of the time I was counting more neurites.  Once all the washes were done we went down to the dark room once more to develop this most recent western.  The rest of the day was spent counting the neurites, which wasn’t the most exhilarating but it’s important.  Then I got a call form Matt right as I was finishing up counting and he asked if I wanted to come down and talk for a little bit.  We ended up walking down to the Ben & Jerry’s down the street and just relaxed outside on a nice Friday afternoon.  It was a good close to my second week.

No comments:

Post a Comment