Monday, September 7, 2015

Amy Qian #3 August 15th

Grace left at the end of this week for MA. Our lab members went to a spicy Chinese restaurant to eat dinner to congratulate Grace for finishing her summer internship. The dinner was great and I told my lab members to try all the "disgusting" Chinese food (such as organs) and they did! :) 

This week is particularly challenging for me because I went to the museum by myself for the first time. I had to do both recruiting and consenting. The first day was a big bomb. I got rejected six times in a roll and I felt so destroyed. In the end of the day, I only tested 2 children. My PI told me it was completely normal and everyone had good days and bad days. Because I went to the museum in the afternoon, most of the people were leaving and it made sense that people would reject me. 

I spent most of my time collecting data and coding my videos because my mentor and I figured that we are actually short of enough samples of 4 year olds. So my job this week is mostly collecting data. 

The past two weeks reading groups have been very interesting and the topics are on pedagogy contexts and learning. Moreover, I got a chance to present the paper with other undergrads. This is very exciting and new to me: I presented power point and my understanding of the paper in front of everyone. We examined whether being altruistic is human nature or not from both a social and neuroscience perspective.
I was a bit nervous at first because I was afraid that I might make some mistakes. However, my lab members are really nice and understandable and told me that I did a great job.



No comments:

Post a Comment