Monday, September 7, 2015

Azza- Entry #5

I have learned an incredible amount while I was at the Lab. It was definitely a great experience! I had the opportunity to transform, transfect and ligate bacteria. Grow small scale and large scale bacterial cultures. Work with mice and observe the work other lab members spent with zebrafish. I performed many minipreps and midipreps. I became super comfortable with PCR and gel electrophoresis. I also got to learn how to make and use protein gels and interpret the results .I also got to grow crystals, which an essential step in understanding the biophysics and biochemistry of the mutant protein or wild-type portein that you are researching.  I walked into UCSF knowing the basics such as PCR and gel and I left with a much greater understanding and appreciation for lab work. My graduate student taught me so much. I got to work with him while we focused on the main project of the lab and he also assigned me solo projects to work on. It was a fantastic experience
, and I would love to do it again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment